News

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

KIDNAPPED:Protesters hold signs during a march in support of the girls kidnapped by members of Boko Haram in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington May 6. Photo: Reuters/Gary Cameron

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($300,000) reward on Wednesday to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month’s mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

President Barack Obama says the immediate priority is finding nearly 300 teenage girls who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria three weeks ago.

But Obama says the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram must also be dealt with.

The brazen April 15 abduction has sparked international outrage.

And Obama says in an interview with NBC’s “Today” that he’s glad the Nigerian government is accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

The White House says U.S. armed forces are not being sent.

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Recently Played

Latest Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: April 1

bowie

A look back at the Hollywood headlines from years past.

in Music

One Direction starts work on first album as a foursome

directionfans

Just days after the departure of Zayn Malik, the remaining members of 1D are back in the studio.

in Entertainment

Easy April Fools’ Day pranks

aprilfools

Looking for a quick and easy way to pull a fast one? Check out these perfect pranks for kids, coworkers, and friends.

in Music

Iggy Azalea stepping behind the camera

iggyazalea

The rapper will direct the music video for her much-anticipated "Pretty Girls" duet with Britney Spears.

in Entertainment

Robin Williams’ image cannot be used for 25 years

Actor and comedian Robin Williams poses during a press tour promoting his new movie "License To Wed" in Santa Monica, Calif., Friday, June 15, 2007.

The "Mrs. Doubtfire" star will not appear in any form of publicity until 2039.