Amanda Bynes’ drunk driving case moves to mental health court

Amanda Bynes’ drunk driving case moves to mental health court

Actress Amanda Bynes arrives for a court hearing at Manhattan Criminal Court in New York, July 9, 2013. Photo: Reuters/REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The drunk driving case against troubled actress and former teenage star Amanda Bynes has been moved to the mental health court at the request of her attorney, a Los Angeles judge ruled on Tuesday.

Attorney Richard Hutton argued that the 27-year-old former Nickelodeon star was unable to stand trial in the case due to doubts about her mental competence.

Bynes has been under court-ordered psychiatric care after she allegedly started a small fire in front of a home in the Los Angeles suburb of Thousand Oaks in July.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton referred the case to the court’s mental health division where a judge will decide if Bynes is fit for trial, the court said.

Her drunk driving case stems from an April 2012 incident in which she was charged with driving under the influence in West Hollywood. Police said Bynes struck a sheriff’s patrol car and refused to take a sobriety test.

She pleaded not guilty last year to the driving under the influence charge. Her next court date is scheduled for January 7.

Bynes, who starred in her own sketch comedy TV series “The Amanda Show” at age 13, has become as famous for her erratic behavior, brushes with the law and odd postings on Twitter as she has for acting.

Last month her mother, Lynn Bynes, was granted temporary legal control of her legal and financial affairs while she undergoes psychiatric treatment.

Bynes, who is on probation in California for driving on a suspended license, faces charges in New York for marijuana possession and throwing a glass bong out of her 36th-floor Manhattan apartment.

Recently Played

Latest Headlines

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.